Jeff & Ruth's Bicycle Adventures

Details of our bike ride from California to Florida.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hillsboro to Las Cruces - Tuesday 2/28

The night was cold and very windy but we were snug in our tent.  We got up before the sun and spent an hour, as usual, packing and getting everything onto the bike.  We immediately had to climb a winding hill with the wind threatening to blow us off the road.  All day long the wind blew in 20 to 30 mile-per-hour guests.  Mucho gust-o!  Sometimes the wind helped us, sometimes it was against us, but the crosswinds were always threatening to destabilize the bike.  Fortunately, there wasn't much traffic and we made it safely to Las Cruces.

The scenery was mostly desert and hills so we only took one picture along the way, of a horse painted like a cow.  A dairy with a sense of humor.

We met another biker crossing the country, a Malaysian named Ty.  He retired and put everything he owns in storage so is traveling all over the country with a bike as his only home.

Miles: 85.3  Average: 12.5

The truth from Ruth:   Last night I was nervous to camp,  because I thought I might be too cold to sleep.  But we had descended over 2000 feet, so the night was not too bad and I was plenty warm.
Today was the first time the wind has bothered me.  It was blowing so hard in our faces  and sending dust and dirt our way.  By lunchtime I was so ready for a break.  In a little town called Hatch, we stopped at a Mexican restaurant called The Pepper Pot.  My food was so good, and it was so wonderful to be out of the wind and cold.  I don't  know when I've enjoyed a meal out so much.
The afternoon went much better weather-wise.  The wind was behind us much more, and I finally got warm.  And tonight we are feeling luxurious in our hotel room.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I have a request! Can you mention what state you are in a little more often? I don't recognize the names of most of the towns you pass through, so they don't really tell me where you are very well. I assume you're in New Mexico now because you haven't said anything about leaving it.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brother and Sister Coleman, This is Ann Chumbley-Snider, Dick and Nina Chumbley's daughter.....Please have my cell phone and know that if you need anything we may have family along the way. For example, my older brother ownes a ranch in Las Cruces. Could have stayed on the property or ? 308-233-4846. My dad would have loved your adventure. Remember what a big bicyclist he was? :) Have fun!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Kristina Vandeveer said...

Hi Ruth,
I am having a wonderful time following your biking adventure. The pictures are fabulous and add so much to the commentary. We miss you at the temple each week,but know this is an experiece of a lifetime1
Kristina Vandeveer

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home