Jeff & Ruth's Bicycle Adventures

Details of our bike ride from California to Florida.

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Resting - Sat & Sun 4/1

We're still in Baker after enjoying two days of rest and listening to LDS General Conference.  We've ridden a total of 10 miles around town.  It's been so relaxing that we have decided to give up riding to Florida.  We'll just fly home, and just relax.  No more fighting traffic, dealing with rain, flat tires, finding food and shelter, and soreness.  We're sick of it all.

 

April fools!  (Check the date in the title.)  We can't give up now.  The end seems so close, only 3 states away.  And we're still having fun and enjoying the adventure.

We're planning a detour, leaving the official Southern Tier route for a few days to tour New Orleans and travel along the Gulf coast.  It adds a bit of excitement when we leave the well-documented route and try to make our own way on roads that may be bike-unfriendly.  And the weather forecast for the next 10 days indicates lots of rain, but warm.

Time for a health status report.  I've had 3 problems over the course of this trip that have made me wonder whether we would make it.

1.  About 2 weeks after leaving home, I got a touch of vertigo (BPV).  That could be dangerous but it wasn't bad in my riding position, so we kept going and it went away after 2 days.

2.  About 2 weeks ago I woke up with some kind of pulled groin tendon.  That was painful when walking but not too bad when riding so we kept going.  That has nearly healed.

3.  Last week I started having pain in my left sacroiliac joint.  Certain motions were very painful, but riding was not.  That is healing and much better after 2 days of rest.  The injury was probably caused by riding at an angle to compensate for the groin pull.

Summary:  I've had minor issues that have slowed me a bit, but am nearly back to 100%.  My main riding soreness is in my legs.  I don't really have problems with the saddle, wrists, elbows, neck, back, knees, and feet anymore.

Ruth is usually affected at her pressure points in the wrists, saddle and feet, but not until 50-70 miles.  So now we consider anything less than 60 as an easy day.

 The truth from Ruth:  I loved listening to conference.  It made me miss my family, so I called and chatted with my three unmarried children and felt better.  I'm excited to tour New Orleans this week!

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home