Jeff & Ruth's Bicycle Adventures

Details of our bike ride from California to Florida.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tallahassee, FL - Wed 4/11

We entered the Eastern Time Zone today.  Only 300 miles to the ocean!  We expect to get there on Tuesday, April 17th.  Then we'll bike down to Orlando, visit Disney World and fly home on the 26th.  (We just bought our plane tickets.)  The bike will probably go UPS.
The ride today was mostly up and down.  I expected Florida to be flat but northern Florida is not.  We bought a fruit drink in Chattahoochee.  The only reason I mention that is because I like saying Chattahoochee.
We ate lunch at "AJ 's Chicken and Things" in Quincy.  I think the "Things" were fries and side dishes, but I'm not sure. 
I met a man in Gretna who said they grow mushrooms there in big buildings.  The farms in the Florida Panhandle that we've heard about grow: mushrooms, tomatoes, melons, peanuts, cabbage, corn and cotton.  The oranges are all down south.
The scenery was rolling green hills, forests, pastures, swamps, rivers, mansions, shacks, farms, convicts in striped jumpsuits, ornate buildings, and small towns.  Our motel in Tallahassee is right next door to the Florida State University campus.  We strolled through the beautiful campus.  It is huge.
Miles: 74.9  Average: 12.4
Photos:
The river dividing time zones.
Riding into the Eastern time zone.
Courthouse in Quincy.
Small house with huge front lawn.
Florida state university campus.
The truth grom Ruth:  Another enjoyable riding day.  Wonderful weather, nice scenery.  Getting closer to the end every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karie said...

I have to smile every time you mention the large lawns. There are sooooo many in the south. My dad (who lives in GA now but used to live in CA) still comments on the large lawns. He'll say, "I could never understand why someone needed a riding lawn mower until I moved here!"

7:36 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, I can't believe how close you guys are to the finish line! It'll be nice to have you home, though, because I keep wanting to talk to you on the phone and I'm putting it off until your trip is over.

We got your package and passed it on to Marina. Thanks!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home