Jeff & Ruth's Bicycle Adventures

Details of our bike ride from California to Florida.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Tragedy Ends Our Ride - Fri 4/13/12

Today, Friday the 13th, we crashed, ending our voyage.

The day started well as we cruised out of Monticello for about 5 miles.  Then a mid-sized dog ran silently from his yard and locked his teeth on our right front pannier, causing the wheel to swerve, and throwing us to the asphalt at 15 mph.  I saw the dog coming and expected him to stop, as hundreds of others had, or at worst attack my leg.  He caught me off guard by going for our luggage.

As we lay on the ground stunned, 2 good Samaritans stopped to help.  One helped me get our bike and gear out of the road while the other helped Ruth to a seat in her car and called 911.  Eventually, a fire truck arrived, then an ambulance and deputy sheriff.  Our new friend, Kathy Reams, offered us a ride to an urgent care facility in Tallahassee so we declined the ambulance.  The firemen kindly took our bike with them, and one offered to bring it to us tomorrow.  As we were leaving, the dog's owner came out and met the deputy.  Then a woman and 2 kids came out.  I don't know what he was doing while the fire truck was there.

X-rays showed that Ruth has a broken collarbone, so she can't ride for about 3 months.  They put her arm in a sling and gave her pain meds.  I have a big hematoma on my elbow and a painful hip joint, so I can't ride either.  We both have major road rash.  I treated myself.

Then we rented a room for a week at an extended-stay hotel, Kathy gave us a ride to it, and we settled in to recuperate.

We regret ending our ride 245 miles short of our goal after traveling about 2800 miles, but we had a great time and a lot of memorable experiences.  We are thankful that our injuries aren't worse and for the kindness of strangers.

Photos:
Ruth recuperating.
Bike after crash moved from road.
The dog that attacked.
Ambulance.
Dog owner meets deputy.
Jeff's elbow.

The truth from Ruth:  I feel very blessed that our accident was not worse.  With the medication I'm on, I'm not in pain.  Jeff is taking care of me, and we have a place to stay until we fly home.  I'm so grateful to the people who stopped to help.   I hope the dog owners will tie their dog up so this doesn't happen to someone else.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff and Ruth,
We got to work on that anti-dog torpedo.
Rockie

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff and Ruth:
Don't know if you remember me (and Jeanna) from Grossmont and San Carlos.
I have been following your cross country trek ever since you were here in the Phoenix area.
Heavenly Father was watching out for you and even if you were just short of your goal...it was an amazing feat totally.
Hope your recovery time is short with swift healing.
I am sure Rockie will come up with a sure plan to get you back on the road safely.
Blessings.
Jan Tully

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh! Hope you're back on your feet and your bike soon. It's been so fun reading about your adventures. And you know, a dramatic crash ending to your trek makes for a much better story than just quietly riding to the Atlantic Ocean- at least once the pain is only a memory :~) Thanks for sharing your fun blog and great adventure. Have a safe trip home.
Sandra Riggins

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Des said...

Wow! What a Friday the 13th you had. I am relieved to hear that you survived your crash. I hope you enjoy resting up before your flight home. Love you lots!

2:16 PM  
Blogger tenacious d said...

Oh! What a bummer! Every cyclist has to have a collar bone fx at sometime, though. Right?

Your ride has been inspirational and entertaining for those of us reading at home. I hope that you both heal quickly.

See you soon!

Diane Bricco

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Sad! I read this about 4:30 am on Saturday morning. I checked the date to make sure it wasn't april fools (I hoped it was), but remembered you had used that already :) The boys had just returned home from father/son campout due to pouring rain and heavy wind, so it was a rough friday the 13th all around. I just hope you guys recover quickly and aren't too miserable in the meantime. And keep posting! Some of us out here still want to know how you're doing, healing, etc!

Cara Crump

7:09 PM  
Blogger Donna McNeil Gonzales said...

So sorry your ride came to such an abrupt stop, but at least it wasn't any worse. Hope you both get better very fast!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Rowdy said...

It's not and adventure unless something goes wrong.

Glad everything was minor as far as injuries go!

5:08 PM  
Blogger SLEJ Family Adventures said...

Hi Jeff and Ruth. We are the tandem family that you met not so long ago. We finally took a moment to check your blog and were so disappointed to find out what happened to you. We can't believe it! What an incredible adventure you had. We are so sorry how it ended. We hope you are feeling stronger every day. Thinking of you, Lisa, Shane, Eric and Joel SLEJ-adventures.blogspot.com

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home